Tuesday, May 31, 2016

My Southwest Trip - On My Own

Friday, April 30

Nice surprise this morning - sometimes, just sometimes, the stars are aligned, the waves are in sync and a call or text can come or send!  Hell for some and not so for others.  I'm bundled in my parka and Bethie calls from Falmouth.  So good to talk with her.  Of course, she says I'm where I need to be, nothing happens without a reason, and that it takes time to settle in.  The call drops.

I cook my first breakfast at Windsong; three eggs, avocado, a piece of Indygo's cornbread, and OJ.  The sun is beginning to come out and still there are rain clouds all around the blue.

I'm supposed to print my Astrological chart today so Ruby can read it for me.

Ravens or crows fly even with Windsong and me on this crest.  According to Ruby, either a Raven or Crow has a fan tail and the other a wedge tail but I don't recall which is which and they aren't still long enough for me to see.  They tell me Ravens are believed to be ancestors.

Time to wash dishes outside with the rain barrel water.

Hail Storm  11 a.m.
Indygo and I are just about to hike in the arroyo to the mountain when I see some mean clouds moving fast.  I start back up the dirt hill to check windows at Windsong and the thunder starts as the black mass broils close.  I hesitate.  Go back to Mi Casa or get to Windsong?  Hail begins blowing sideways.  I start running up the hill and get inside to close Windsong's windows.  I watch the hail pile up on the deck like styrofoam balls an inch deep.  I dislike that I have such
Hail still in the arroyo.
a miserable environmental association with this natural occurrence.  It's still blowing horizontally.  So strong.  And it ends as quickly as it began, thunder still banging in the distance.  Sun is melting the white covering.  Blue sky in the west.  We can hike now.

And hike we do wearing gloves just in case.  Indygo had indicated a short hike to the Yoni Tree and Snake Rock but  changes her mind to the long and round about route.  I have plenty of water but would have brought more snacks!  She lost a pair of gloves up here and a walking stick and hopes to recover something.  The hail is still evident on the shaded side of the arroyo and between rocks.  There are cool boulders, blooming cactus, and vistas along the way including an overview of Outland.

The climb is loose rock and soft clay - poor footing and my now fav hat feels like it will choke me in the wind.   The steepness and poor footing puts me in mind of OLP's Devil's Hopyard.   It's been a while since I was so challenged by my fear and I appreciate Indygo's hug at the top.  We find Snake Rock but not without a few slide-on-your-butt moments that put a hole in my pants.

Cool rocks
Blooming cactus
Me at the rocks w/my borrowed cowgirl hat.

Indygo in the sun

Me post climb on the mesa


Outland buildings in the distance

We stop at Ruby's on the way back.  She's comfy reading and had fun watching the wild menagerie out her sliders.  She's worried about a baby cotton-tail that seems alone.  I go back a little later to pick up the latest copy of Maize.  End up staying while she helps me check schedules for the Rail Runner (RR), the train that runs from Albuquerque to Taos.  Incredibly inexpensive and comfortable commuter transportation!  Incredibly difficult to read schedules, even for a local!

She and Indygo have talked about The Gathering of Nations Pow Wow happening in Albuquerque this weekend.  But Indygo is staying here with Tracy and Ruby isn't up to the travel.   I'd like to go but hesitate about taking the gas-guzzling, honkin' Suburban for my own use.   Ruby tells me not to think of it that way but as a community vehicle.   With her valued permission, I make plans to leave the Chevy in Santa Fe and take the RR.  Ruby checks with her partner Juana to see if I can stay overnight at their apartment if it's too late when I get back.  I hope she doesn't feel pressured to agree and I'd really rather get back to the land if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment